Friday, April 30, 2010

Granola Bars

I have reviewed a lot of recipes for granola bars and oatmeal cookie bars on the internet, and finally created a recipe based on what I found. I will continue to experiment with some ingredient changes to make these with a little less sugar, but, for now, this is what I've got. I made this with what I had on hand. You can substitute the dry ingredients for other dry ingredients.

2/3 cup of brown sugar (or natural sugar cane sugar)
3/4 cup of honey
6 cups of dry ingredients...
2 Tbs of butter ( I will try to substitute this one for coconut oil)
1 cup of chocolate chips

For dry ingredients, I used 2 cups of oats, 1 1/2 cup of puffed brown rice, 1 cup of raisins, 1/2 cups of mixed nuts, 1/2 cup of almonds and craisins. Combine all of the dry ingredients into a large glass mixing bowl.

1 Combine the brown sugar, honey, and butter in a sauce pan over medium low heat and cook until it simmers.

2  Pour the honey mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well with a large spoon.

3  Let is cool for a few minutes and then add the chocolate chips.

4  Pour into a 9x13 inch pan lined with parchment paper. Press firmly into the pan. Allow to cool completely. Turn the granola mixture over onto a cutting board and cut into granola bar shapes. Enjoy! Wrap any leftover bars in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.

1 comment:

  1. I am going to try this one in a few weeks. Miss seeing you posting to your blog!

    ReplyDelete